PR volunteer (traditional media)
Friends of Heene Cemetery
Interested in nature? Experienced in traditional media? Live in or near Worthing? Looking for an ongoing volunteer role with lots of flexibility? If so, this could be a good fit for you.
Heene Cemetery is Worthing’s hidden treasure – a small, Victorian cemetery rich with human stories, plants and wildlife.
The Friends of Heene Cemetery is a group of enthusiastic volunteers, from a wide range of backgrounds and ages, who take care of this special place. We gather twice a week to look after the landscape in a way which supports nature, we research the stories of the people buried here and we encourage the wider community to visit, enjoy and learn through open days and guided visits.
We’ve recently launched a new website https://www.heenecemetery.org.uk/ and we have a Facebook and Twitter page.
We’re now looking to recruit a team of marketing volunteers to help us tell our stories, involve more community groups and attract more donations.
Your role as the PR Volunteer in the marketing team will be to get our stories out through local newspapers, magazines radio, posters and leaflets:
- Identify suitable stories about Heene Cemetery for local media - liaising with other volunteers.
- Write press releases - making use of content already prepared for digital media where available.
- Liaise with local print and broadcast media, send the press releases and persuade them to publish stories.
- Monitor coverage in local media.
- Coordinate the creation and production of any leaflets and posters we might need e.g. to promote an open day.
This role is all about traditional marketing channels - local press, magazines, local radio, posters and flyers in community buildings, etc. Other volunteers look after digital marketing, so if you're looking for digital marketing experience, this is not the right role for you.
This is a very flexible role which you can do at times which suit you. We think it will take an average of about two hours a week. We are looking for someone who is interested in an ongoing volunteering role – so you must be able to volunteer for at least 6 months and ideally longer.
You will be able to do most of this role from home, although you are of course encouraged to come and visit the cemetery whenever you can to meet the volunteers and spot good stories and photo opportunities. And from time to time you will need to liaise with Sue, the group leader, and the other marketing volunteers.
If this sounds interesting, please get in touch for an informal chat by clicking the‘register your interest’ button at the top of the page.
You don't have to have masses of work experience to do this role. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to learn and build up their CV. We’re looking for someone who is:
- Well organised.
- Confident and motivated.
- Keen to learn.
You should be able to:
- Write clearly and succinctly.
- Build contacts with local media.
- Liaise with other volunteers.
You must also be able to make an ongoing commitment to the role (at least 6 months) and be genuinely interested in our work and what we're trying to achieve.
- The chance to make a positive difference to nature in our urban area.
- The opportunity to make new friends and feel more connected to your local community.
- Experience for your CV - if that's of interest to you.
You will be doing this role from home so you will need access to a smart phone, tablet or PC at home and an internet connection.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||This is a very flexible role which you can organise to fit around your other commitments. We estimate it will take an average of 2 hours a week.|
Where does this role take place?
Corner of Manor Road and St Michaels Road
- Marketing and Media
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities