Volunteer Independent Visitor
West Sussex County Council - Independent Visitor Scheme
The Independent Visitor Scheme is for children looked after by West Sussex County Council and who are aged between 8 and 17 years old. Independent visitors are volunteers who visit and befriend a child in care. Independent visitors are matched with children who have little or no contact with their birth families, or where it is considered in their best interests for them to have an adult outside the professional network, to provide a consistent, positive and supportive relationship. Independent visitors befriend and advise the individual child they are matched with, visiting them at their foster or children's home on a regular basis and taking them out e.g swimming, walks in the park and bowling. Visits are normally monthly.
- good listener
- fun loving
- consistent, reliable and trustworthy
- relate to children and young people.
Fun, new experiences, interest in children and young people.
- Visits to be arranged with children evenings, days and weekends.
- Preference for those that drive.
- Good energy to keep up with the young people.
- Complete monthly electronic paperwork and regular supervision.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Independent visitors are required to meet with a young person once a month for a minimum of 2 years at times to suit the volunteer and child/young person|
- Arts, Heritage and Entertainment
- Black and Minority Ethnic Communities
- Employment, Education and Training
- Families and Parenting
- Health and Social Care
- Learning Disabilities
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender
- Libraries, Books and Literature
- Mental Health
- No specific interest
- Older People
- Parks and Open Spaces
- Wildlife and Animals
- Young People
- Administration and Office
- Computers, IT and Websites
- Film Making
- Local Events
- One-off Activity
- Practical Skills
- Sports Volunteering
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
minimum age 21 years
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities