Are you well organised? Are you able to write clearly and succinctly? Do you care about green spaces for communities? Would you like to feel part of a friendly, supportive group who make a difference in your community? Can you spare about 4-6 hours a month? If so, this role could be for you.
Green Tides is the partnership across Adur and Worthing for about 40 'Friends of' volunteer groups who work in parks, cemeteries, beaches and other wild spaces, improving the natural habitat and enabling the community to take action to improve the natural environment around them. Green spaces have always been important to individual and community well being - but perhaps never more so than during this COVID-19 lockdown period. And the collaboration between our groups is also more important than ever as we share ideas about how to re-start and increase the community's involvement in nurturing its green spaces.
Green Tides brings these groups together to share knowledge and resources, promote the amazing work of our members and collaborate with partners including local businesses, charities and the Council. We are a small, thriving, volunteer-led organisation with about 40 members. We have a simple constitution and a clear purpose. We meet 6 times a year - on a Tuesday evening every other month.
The Committee Secretary plays a vital role in the support Green Tides provides its members. You will be responsible for:
- Minuting our bi-monthly Green Tides’ meetings.
- Keeping the mailing list and contact details for Green Tides’ members up to date.
- Creating and distributing our newsletter with input from the rest of our Committee and other Green Tide members.
In addition to these tasks, there are plenty of opportunities for you to get involved in other areas of our work if that interests you and you have the time. But that is optional. We would still like to hear from you if you only want to do the core role.
We are still recruiting to this role despite the COVID-19 lockdown. So if you're interested, please get in touch and we can talk via phone, email or zoom.
You don't need to have done this kind of work before. We provide support and training.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is well organised.
- Can make notes about the key points of made in a meeting (But you don't need experience of taking formal minutes).
- Can write clearly and succinctly.
- A great opportunity to be linked in with local communities and the amazing diversity of voluntary activity that takes place across the whole of Adur and Worthing.
- The chance to gain experience for your CV if that interests you.
- The community groups we support are a fun and positive bunch of people to be involved with and Green Tides' meetings are positive, inspiring and uplifting!
If you have your own computer and phone, that would be great. But if not, please don't let that stop you applying.
Green Tides is fundraising for all the IT equipment needed for this role e.g. a laptop and printer and aims to have these in place as soon as possible.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Green Tides meetings are bi-monthly and are held on a Tuesday evening from 7pm to 9pm and you must be able to attend these meetings. The venue alternates between Worthing (generally the Town Hall) and Adur (usually the Shoreham Centre). The time commitment outside these meetings is not significant - about 4-6 hours a month on average and there is considerable flexibility on when and how you spend this time.|
Where does this role take place?
Adur and Worthing
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- No specific interest
- Parks and Open Spaces
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities