Possability People is a user led organisation that promotes independent living for all. We work towards equality by inspiring disabled people to identify barriers and define solutions. Shopmobility is a vital service providing scooters and wheelchairs for low cost hire. Could you meet and greet customers and help deliver equipment across Brighton and Hove (no driving licence necessary)? Shopmobility could be just the ticket. Have a look through our volunteer opportunities.
What we need:
To provide a citywide accessible Shopmobility service to customers by riding mobility scooters to and from customers at convenient locations around the city.
We expect 1 regular shift a week on a day which is convenient to you. We need volunteers from Monday through to Friday between 10 am & 1pm or 1pm & 4pm.
Each Volunteer will attend a group induction session with the Volunteer & Services Officer & the Office & Resources Co-ordinator, in order to familiarise themselves with the overall working practices of the organisation and to prepare for their Volunteering role.
Volunteers will have 1:1s every three months with their project lead/ worker.
Volunteers must be happy to work on their own as this opportunity is based out and about in the city, with phone contact with the office.
- The ability to learn and feel confident driving a mobility scooter.
- A friendly and approachable nature.
- A commitment to the provision of quality services and support for disabled people.
- A preparedness to make a regular time commitment.
- A commitment to the principles of equal opportunities for all service users.
- A friendly and supportive telephone manner.
- An ability to use one’s own initiative.
- Experience of working with the public.
- Knowledge and understanding of disability and disablement issues.
- Knowledge or experience of the use of mobility equipment.
- An opportunity to offer your skills and experience.
- The chance to build confidence, self-esteem and make a difference.
- Access a range of free courses, including confidence building, computer courses, disability equality, customer services and more through a volunteer training budget.
- To help yourself and other disabled people be included in their community, at work, at home, socially and in the wider world.
- Join a team committed to a better, more equal and inclusive society.
- Meet new people.
- Learn new skills, develop your C.V. and gain work references.
- Have fun!
When do I need to be available?
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Health and Social Care
- No specific interest
- Older People
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer