Social escort - for a person with disabilities
Do you have a positive attitude towards disabled people? Would you like to make a difference to the life of a disabled person? If so, we'd love to hear from you.
Leonard Cheshire is a charity that supports disabled people to feel respected, valued and safe, choose where and how they live, and participate freely in social and leisure activities.
Fethneys, in Worthing, is one of the many services we run in across the UK. It is a residential home for ten adults with severe physical disabilities and acquired brain injuries.
The people who live at Fethneys are supported to be independent, healthy and active. There’s something for everyone and our great team of staff and volunteers run individual and group activities, including independent living training.
We are looking for more volunteers to join this lovely team, as Social Escorts.
Our volunteer Social Escorts accompany service users on social outings such as the theatre, cinema, concerts, shopping and outdoor activities. Your role will be to help them enjoy the outing and stay safe.
We will reimburse your expenses so you're not out of pocket (as long as they are covered by our expenses policy).
You don't need to have done this kind of thing before.
We are looking for people who have a positive attitude to disabled people and who are:
- Have a good sense of humour.
- Reliable and organised.
- Good communication skills.
- This is a lovely opportunity to make a real difference to the quality of life of a person living with severe disabilities.
- You will meet new people and have the chance to make new friends.
- This is really good experience if you're thinking of a career in health and social care.
We will carry out an enhanced DBS Check (Data Barring Service) before you start. So we will need you to provide some identification documents; and we also ask for two references.
Once this paperwork is done, we will give you induction training, including;
- Information on Leonard Cheshire
- Leonard Cheshire’s policies and procedures.
- Disability rights & Communication
- Safeguarding of Vulnerable Adults.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||The time commitment is very flexible. If you can offer a few hours a month, that would be great.|
Where does this role take place?
9 Farcombe Road
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities