Stand-by Kitchen Volunteer - Cook (School half terms and holidays)
Brighton Unemployed Centre (Families Project)
BUCFP is looking for volunteers that can help us run our community kitchen during school half-terms and summer school holidays.
The kitchen volunteers cook a daily vegan meal to be ready for 1:00 pm on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Volunteers can apply to either for head cook and for assistant role.
- Volunteers must have basic familiarity with food preparation and cookery. Any previous experience of cooking is an advantage; especially vegan cookery or cooking for large numbers of people. An understanding of veganism is an advantage.
- Innovative cooking is key since we generally cook according to what food is in season/in stock/donated, rather than buying for recipes.
- An interest in nutrition is an advantage.
- Once confident enough in overseeing meal quality themselves, cooks can then give less experienced people guidance in coming up with and using their own ideas.
- Volunteers are offered support from the Food Coordinator on a weekly basis whilst they are on shift cooking. The Food Coordinator will offer regular supervision sessions if required, and will keep notes on file of any concerns, training or further support required by the volunteer.
- Volunteers will be offered advice on recipes and creative cooking using stock rotation of fresh produce to reduce food waste. The Food Coordinator will support and encourage volunteers to create tasty food by playing to their strengths, and where appropriate will buy in specific ingredients (eg herbs/spices) to enable the volunteer to produce recipes they love. NB - there are cost restrictions to this!
- All volunteers are offered Food Safety training to level 2 and get travel expenses reimbursed (up to £5), and (of course) they get a free meal (!).
- Volunteers will cook for approximately 30-50 people each time and food served is strictly vegan.
- Parking around the BUCFP is limited.
- There is no access to the centre for wheelchair users unfortunately.
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
6 Tilbury Place
- Community Food
- Cooking and Catering
Unfortunately we do not have access for wheel chair users, and access to the centre involves managing 2 flight of stairs.
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Kitchen capacity is only for 2 volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities