Support at Home Volunteer - Across Sussex
British Red Cross - Sussex
About this service:
In the UK, our health and social care work offers valuable time-limited support for individuals vulnerable to crisis. From people recovering from illness, surgery or an accident, to struggling with a life-changing event, Support at Home volunteers enable people to live as independently as they can at home, building trusting relationships and helping them to regain their confidence and well-being.
Working closely with health and social services colleagues, volunteers can make the difference in preventing an admission to hospital or supporting a timely discharge home.
About this role:
The aim of the Support at Home service is to place the person at the centre of what we do and help them get through a crisis by offering positive encouragement, practical help and emotional support, for a few days or for longer.
Typical tasks include:
- Visiting the service user on their arrival home from hospital.
- Keeping someone company for a few hours at a time.
- Helping with practical tasks like shopping, collecting prescriptions and light meal preparation.
- Sitting with the service user and relieving the relative or carer of continuous care.
- Keeping paper records of contact and activities undertaken with the service user depending on their needs.
What we are looking for:
We keep the beneficiary at the heart of what we do, working to understand their needs and the difference we make. You need to have good interpersonal, diplomacy, communication and teamwork skills and full training can be given for any necessary technical requirements.
- Sensitivity when working with people vulnerable to crisis and an interest in their well-being
- An ability to provide patient, positive encouragement with the aim of helping people to help themselves
- An understanding of the differing physical needs of service users.
- Ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team.
- Willingness to attend volunteer induction and appropriate training for the role.
- To uphold the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and adhere to the Society’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
This role requires a DBS/PVG check to the appropriate level.
- The chance to work with a variety of different people from different walks of life and make a real difference to their lives
- A great opportunity to develop your existing skills and to gain new ones
- The company of a warm and friendly team of like-minded people.
We work with clients with their homes, but our main office is based in Hove.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Availability of volunteering role will be during the week, however training may also be on weekends.|
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Health and Social Care
- No specific interest
- Older People
- Advice and Information
- Cooking and Catering
- General Helping
- Practical Skills
- Supporting People and Befriending
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer