Support & Information Service Volunteer
Brighton Women's Centre
The Support & Information service at BWC provides a crucial service to women across the city who are in need of emotional support, signposting and information in a non-judgemental, women-only environment. Support & Information Volunteers will work in our Brighton Women's Wellbeing Hub and/or on the Support & Information phone line providing empathic and practical support. Facilitators offer information, guidance and signposting to service users as well as holding activity based peer support sessions.
Volunteers are required to:
- work in a non-judgemental way;
- be reliable and on time for shifts;
- have strong listening skills and an empathic nature;
- have some administrative and IT skills;
- be able to work as part of a team;
- have an understanding of/interest in safeguarding vulnerable adults;
- uphold and work within the intersectional feminist ethos of BWC;
- have a level of emotional resilience, and be in a position in life to support others;
- be in a position to commit to volunteering once a week for at least 12 months, both during term times and half terms.
Due to the peer support element of our work we particularly welcome applications from women who have previously experienced similar challenges to our client group (e.g. homelessness, discrimination, poverty, problematic substance use, trauma, abuse, challenges around mental/physical health, family difficulties, sex working) and are now in a place of stability.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||We are are looking for Volunteers to work on: Wednesdays 9.30am - 1pm (Phone line only) Thursdays 9.30am - 1pm (Mixture of Phone line & Hub sessions)|
Where does this role take place?
22 Richmond Place
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Up to day saver bus ticket
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities
Induction training (2 sessions) & e-learning.