Surplus Food Depot and Delivery Assistant
This role involves:
- Picking stock and labelling orders for deliveries
- Going out on the van with the Delivery Driver making deliveries
- Sorting food and restocking shelves
- Loading and unloading the van/deliveries
- Heavy lifting
- Recording van temperatures and taking signatures on deliveries
- Providing a high level of customer service to our member organisations
- Representing FareShare out in the community.
This role requires:
- Punctuality and good time-keeping skills
- Good customer service skills
- Attention to detail
- A commitment of one shift per fortnight (weekly shifts preferred)
Three main benefits of this role:
- Social atmosphere and a great opportunity to meet new people.
- Several development opportunities and training provided, including Food Safety Level 2 and Forklift licencing.
- Active role, keep fit and give back at the same time.
The FareShare Sussex warehouse is based in Moulsecoomb.It is easily accessible by bus on the 25, 28, 29 and 50 (Moulsecoomb Way bus stop) or 10-15 minute walk from Moulsecoomb train station.
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
Unit 3 Fairway Business Centre
As a busy warehouse it is not a suitable environment for wheelchair users.
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
We reimburse travel expenses up to the cost of an advance day saver bus ticket (£4.80). For volunteers that find it difficult to purchase a ticket in advance we can issue them a ticket to use at their next session. We provide lunch from our surplus food.
- Health and Safety
We have a group induction session including a full health and safety briefing. We then 'buddy up' new volunteers with current ones on their first shift.
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Appropriate for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BME, Women only)
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Support on Offer
We provide tailored support to our volunteers. There are regular informal and annual formal feedback opportunities, a volunteer\'s computer for job search/CV writing and staff on hand to support as needed, for example with benefits advice or interview skills.
As part of your induction you will get an introduction to manual handling, then subsequent 'on-the-job' training. We also offer accredited courses in food safety and fork lift truck where appropriate.