Sussex Prisoners' Families Court Family Support Volunteer
Sussex Prisoners' Families
Volunteers attend a Sussex magistrates or crown court on an agreed day either once a week or fortnightly. The purpose of this role is to promote the organisation and our services to Court staff and legal professionals as well as provide vital information and support to families and friends when someone close to them is sentenced or remanded to custody.
• To have an interest in the needs of prisoners’ families
• To be reliable and maintain personal boundaries
• To be friendly and approachable
• To be empathetic
• To have excellent listening and verbal communication skills
• To have the ability to communicate confidently with a wide range of people
• To work well in a team
• To be able to work well independently
• To be respectful of the traditions of the Courts
• To be non-judgemental
This is a unique opportunity to gain experience of the criminal justice sector, we also provide
• Initial training, guidance and induction to the role
• Ongoing learning, development and support
• Reimbursement of agreed travel and refreshments expenses in accordance with SPF policy
• We ask that volunteers are available to attend court at least one-half day every fortnight for a minimum period of six months.
• Volunteers should be available for at least a morning or afternoon during court hours, which are usually 9.00am – 4.00pm.
• Volunteers will be required to attend an interview and provide two independent references.
• Volunteers must attend all the training sessions.
Volunteers can choose which court they attend either in Brighton, Hove, Lewes, Hastings or Crawley.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Volunteers can choose which sessions they attend and can stay involved for as long as they wish|
- Families and Parenting
- Advice and Information
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Appropriate for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BME, Women only)
Support on Offer
Ongoing support and regular meetings with other volunteers