Sussex Prisoners' Families' HMP Lewes Visitors Centre
Sussex Prisoners' Families
This role involves working at HMP Lewes visits new visitors’ centre, greeting families, serving refreshments, listening to their concerns and offering advice and signposting to different agencies as necessary. Volunteers will need to be friendly and tactful, recognising the fact that visits can be an emotional time for families.
• Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively
• Ability to work with a wide variety of people including prison staff and visitors
• Understanding of the benefits of positive family relationships
• Understanding of and commitment to equality and diversity
• Ability to work effectively with a minimum of supervision and as part of a team
• Good organisational skills
The role involves full training and provides a rare opportunity to work within a prison for those interested in pursuing a career in criminal justice.
HMP Lewes can be accessed via public transport
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Volunteers will need to commit to at least one session a fortnight (though one session a week would be preferable). Sessions are 1.50 – 4.00 from Monday to Thursday and on weekends; and from 9.00 -11:15 on Fridays. We are particularly looking for volunteers to support the Friday and weekend sessions. We welcome applications from those with lived experience of the criminal justice system.|
Where does this role take place?
1 Brighton Rd,
- Families and Parenting
- Advice and Information
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Appropriate for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BME, Women only)
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer