Telephone Help Point Volunteer
West Sussex Mind
Role: to provide support with our new Help Point service. This is the first contact point for people seeking Mental Health advice, information, signposting and access to our services within West Sussex Mind. The Help Point team volunteer will support us to take calls and respond to emails from members of the public from across West Sussex.
Key responsibilities :
- To have an understanding of values and goals of West Sussex Mind and agree to volunteer within our policies including equal opportunities policy, health and safety policy.
- To engage with clients in a sensitive, supportive, friendly way.
- To be able to finish the contact (phone or email) on a positive note.
- To respect the confidential nature of the service and maintain an appropriate professional attitude and boundaries.
- To immediately raise any safeguarding or concerns with the Help Point coordinator.
Skills & knowledge required:
- A good geographical knowledge of West Sussex would be helpful but not essential.
- Good listening skills and feel at ease with talking on the phone.
- Good email writing skills.
- Non-judgemental and mindful of own personal views and feelings.
- The ability to remain calm and positive in challenging circumstances.
- Committed to being part of the service on a regular basis.
- Organised and able to take accurate notes.
- Confident in using IT or willing to learn.
- Team Player.
- Understanding of lived experience.
- Opportunity to provide immediate support to people accessing the service.
- Full Training and opportunity to develop skills for working in a team supporting people with MH needs.
Due to the nature of the role we would like applicants to be age 21 and over.
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
8-10 Durrington Lane
- Mental Health
- Advice and Information
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Age 21 + preferred or 18+ with experience
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities