Telephone Support Volunteer for Sussex Elder Abuse Recovery Service (EARS)
Hourglass - safer aging, stopping abuse
Help clients through their trauma of elder abuse onto a pathway of recovery by building a friendship based on trust and respect.
- Building a rapport with client over the phone.
- Weekly phone call to your client, supporting them by listening to them, working towards goals, could include advocating on their behalf.
- Working towards reintegrating clients back into their community if they have become isolated due to elder abuse.
- To be able to recognise and work within personal and organisational boundaries.
- Help your client with agreed activities.
We look for people who understand and empathise with the service objectives, who have relevant experience and who can demonstrate a ‘professional’ but friendly approach
· Good listening and communication skills essential.
· Patience and tact
· A caring, empathetic, sensitive manner and a non-judgemental approach
· To be able to recognise and work within personal and organisational boundaries
· Understanding of confidentiality
· Working within Hourglass policies and procedures
· Commitment to understanding the needs of older people
· Willingness to help raise self-esteem/confidence through a positive relationship between you as the volunteer and the client
Ability to work independently.
Our volunteers will join an exciting and dynamic organisation and help us to work towards a safer community for all elderly adults across the UK.
- Access to Hourglass Training courses
- One-to-one support
- The satisfaction of knowing that you play a pivotal role in aiding an older person’s recovery from abuse
- Impart your time and skills for the benefit of survivors of elder abuse & their families
- ·Valuable experience of volunteering that you can add to your CV
You will be required to supply two references, one being your current or most recent employer · Both of which must have known you for at least two years
This role will be subject to a DBS check – carried out following completion of training
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Committed to the role for at least 6 months Minimum of 4 hours each week – can be during the day, evenings or weekends (and can be split depending on the requirements of the client, e.g. 2 hours one day and 2 hours another)|
Where does this role take place?
Brighton & Hove
- Black and Minority Ethnic Communities
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Crime, Victims and Offenders
- Health and Social Care
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender
- Mental Health
- No specific interest
- Older People
- Womens Issues
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
We cover out of pocket expenses for travel and lunch
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer