The Esther Project Volunteer Outreach Worker
Our volunteer positions are open to WOMEN ONLY and subject to exemption from the Sex Discrimination Act Section 7 (e).
Yada is the overarching charitable organisation that runs The Esther Project (TEP). The Esther Project is an outreach service to women in the sex industry across Worthing and coastal West Sussex. The project aims to increase safety, reduce isolation and improve emotional well-being amongst women in the sex industry.
Your role will be to support TEP staff members during outreach visits, such as cafe drop ins, massage parlours and other local partner services’ activities. During outreach, you will work as part of TEP team, engaging with and supporting service users in line with TEP aims and policies.
- Attend all safety briefings, debriefings and training
- Offer emotional support and a listening ear
- Offer signposting to local services/National Ugly Mugs
- Ensure that any issues in relation to safeguarding of vulnerable adults are brought to the immediate attention of the Manager, or if unavailable another member of safeguarding team.
TEP operates according to the three core conditions as set out in person-centred therapy: congruence, unconditional positive regard and empathy.
It is essential that you have an ability:
- To listen and communicate empathetically
- To be non-judgemental and not pursue personal agenda
- To respond quickly to emergency or pressurised situations
- To understand the importance of confidentiality
- To understand and explore the complexities of the sex industry
- To work well in a team
- To be self-aware, and to recognise the importance of self-care
- To communicate in fluent English (written and spoken).
Experience of working with women at risk and/or a relevant experience is desirable.
We highly welcome the ability to speak a second language, in particular Chinese, Portuguese or Thai.
Training and induction will be provided and we actively encourage the continuous personal development of all our team.
Yada is committed to providing volunteers with training which will enhance and widen their skills, and which will benefit both the individuals and Yada. Training will be tailored according to the volunteer role.
Expenses - It may be possible for volunteers to claim expenses, related to their volunteering. This will be agreed in advance by the office manager and will be confirmed in writing.
Personal Development and Self Care is offered to volunteers, such as regular supervision provided by the Yada team and additional training.
- As this role may require you handling sensitive information, you will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- A full DBS must be undertaken.
- Our volunteer positions are open to WOMEN ONLY and subject to exemption from the Sex Discrimination Act Section 7 (e).
- You will also be sympathetic vision of Yada and the Christian ethos of the organisation.
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
9-13 Crescent Road
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities