Together Co Befriending Phone Support
Everybody should have somebody. Together Co Befriending matches people with people to create friendships that make life better.
Could you spare an hour a week to enrich someone else’s life? Looking for an opportunity where you will be part of something special?
Recent quotes from volunteer befrienders at Together Co:
- Really happy I signed up for this and feel like I struck gold with being matched with my scheme member - she's wonderful!
- Really grateful for the support from Together Co and my relationship with my scheme member.
Since the 1990s, originally operating as the Neighbourhood Care Scheme in Brighton & Hove, we have been fighting loneliness across our city by making matches that last. We help people experiencing chronic loneliness and are aged over 50 or have a physical or sensory disability or are a full-time carer. Increasingly we are helping people living with mental health difficulties.
We offer an ongoing programme of training, both online and in person, volunteer socials and events. Many of our volunteers have used this opportunity as a springboard into working with older people or within the third sector.
We offer a comprehensive induction training programme, however the following skills will be useful:
- Strong listening skills and the ability to chat easily
- Non-judgemental attitude
- Honesty and reliability
- Respect for confidentiality
- Friendliness and warmth
- Basic IT skills would be advantageous.
- Being part of a team of almost 300 volunteers across the city fighting loneliness and social isolation.
- Support from your Befriending Coordinator – just a phone call or email away providing you a personal contact so support is available when you need it.
- Volunteer training events including active listening courses, mental health awareness and dementia awareness.
- Volunteer peer support sessions, socials and events such as the Platinum Jubilee.
- Opportunities to contribute towards the future direction of the charity through the Befriending Steering group which meets regularly. .
- Regular communications, newsletter and training updates
We ask for a minimum commitment of an hour a week for at least six months. You will be matched with someone for a weekly phonecall based on mutual interests. Out of pocket expenses for travel and telephone can be reimbursed. Timing of the call can be flexible and based on your availability.
We take up two references and also run a DBS check. Training is provided.
We are currently only taking applications from people living in East or West Sussex.
The minimum age for befrienders is 18 years.
For an informal chat please call us on 01273 775888 – we can’t wait to hear from you!
In the words of one of our volunteers:
"I love being a befriender. I feel I am making a real difference to people's lives, and they, in return, have made my life richer. I love the way my matches have been done and absolutely have a wonderful relationship with my scheme members. I am very impressed with the training on offer from Together Co to help me support my matches. Thank you so much for all the help and support you give me."
When do I need to be available?
|Details||30 minutes to one hour a week or fortnight. We’d like you to be able to commit to a minimum of six months.|
- Black and Minority Ethnic Communities
- Health and Social Care
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender
- Mental Health
- Older People
- Womens Issues
- Supporting People and Befriending
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities