Whitehawk Toy Library Volunteer
Brighton and Hove City Council
Purpose of Role
We are looking for a Toy Library volunteer to help ensure customers can make full use of our wide selection of toys. Learning through play has proven to be an integral part of child’s development, from problem solving and development of motor skills, to igniting their imagination and nurturing their creativity. Our play equipment at Whitehawk Library supports and encourages child development. You would help us by checking, organising and repairing toys which have been returned to the library, and preparing new stock.
• Diligently clean and wipe down each toy with cleaning product
• Check the contents of toys/games against the corresponding list and record missing pieces
• Check items for dead batteries and replace them, if required
• Check for sharp, loose, broken or dangerous parts and repair or remove them. Put the toy/game aside for library staff to check, if you consider it is no longer playable
• Label new toys, laminate lists of instructions and contents
• Replace, or where possible repair, bags and boxes
• Assist customers to find suitable/age appropriate toys
• Ensure the toy library looks tidy and appealing
• Refer customers who need further assistance to library staff
• To be flexible, reliable and able to help on a regular basis for a minimum of 6 months
• An interest in toys and children’s development
• To be efficient and conscientious, showing attention to detail
• Manual dexterity and an ability to lift and handle toys and cleaning products
• To be confident to talk to library staff and customers (where appropriate)
• An ability to work independently without supervision
• Gain experience of working in a specialist area of the library service
• Increase your knowledge of educational toys and games
• Support the learning and development of local children
• Meet new people and work as part of the library team
• Support your local library
• Volunteering is known to have a positive impact on both physical and mental health
• You will be entitled to a reference from the Library Manager after six months
This opportunity is only available in Whitehawk Library. Regular sessions usually of 2-3 hours a week will be agreed with the Library Coordinator. Sessions will need to take place alongside library staff during staffed days Tues, Weds, Thurs, Sat.
You must be able and willing to co-operate and adhere to Health and Safety Policy, practices and instructions.
All volunteer roles within the library service support the existing work of paid staff and do not replace the work of paid staff. Support will be given to ensure that boundaries are maintained by staff and to ensure there is no replacement or substitution of staff by volunteers.
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
179A Whitehawk Rd
- Age/Gender Restrictions
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer