Sussex Clubs for Young People
Are you looking for a trustee role where you can make a difference to the lives of young people in your area? Have you got finance skills? Can you offer 8-10 hours a month? If so, we're keen to hear from you.
Youth groups can play a vital role in a young person's development. They provide life skills, character development, opportunities, social interaction, support, encouragement and much more. They are particularly important to young people experiencing social and economic disadvantage and to those who are vulnerable to sexual exploitation, getting involved in gangs or county lines drug networks.
Sussex Clubs for Young People believes every community should offer a safe space for every young person. Somewhere they can belong, be involved, enjoy and achieve.
We are a charity offering vibrant, inclusive and empowering youth clubs and activities across Sussex with our own youth workers and we support a membership of over 140 youth clubs and organisations. Through our work we impact the lives of over 10,000 young people every week.
We are an ambitious charity and have grown rapidly in the last four years. Our current turnover is £400k a year and we employ a staff team of 26 people.
The charity is governed by a board of trustees. Currently we have seven trustees with a range of skills and backgrounds. We are now looking for a Treasurer to join the board to bring more of the financial experience we need as we grow our income.
We outsource the day-to-day bookkeeping to a local accountancy firm, so your role will be about providing strategic financial advice to the board and CEO; and helping the board fulfill its oversight functions. This will include:
- Overseeing the budgeting and financial planning process.
- Helping the board make sense of the management accounts.
- Guiding and advising fellow Board members on financial matters, including the financial implications of strategic plans.
- Leading discussions on financial policies, including reserves.
- Helping the board to confirm that it is meeting all its legal and regulatory requirements in relation to finances.
- Overseeing the appointment of accountants and auditors.
Interested? Please click the REGISTER YOUR INTEREST button and we'll get in touch to arrange an informal chat with our Chair and CEO so you can find out more.
We are looking for someone who has significant finance experience - ideally a qualified or part-qualified accountant.
You don't need to have been a trustee before - we offer training and ongoing development.
You should also be able to:
- Think strategically and creatively.
- Exercise good judgement
- Work as part of a team, while being willing to speak your mind.
Of course, we expect you to have an interest in young people and their development. But you don't need to have worked in this field yourself.
- This is a great opportunity to make a difference to the lives of thousands of young people in Sussex.
- You will also have the chance to make new contacts and expand your networks across the county.
- Being a trustee is an excellent personal and professional development opportunity.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||The board meets every two months on Wednesday mornings. During the COVID restrictions we are meeting by Zoom. As this has worked so well, we plan to continue using Zoom alongside the face to face meeting in the longer term - so those that have difficulty getting to Worthing can still join the meetings. In addition to board meetings, trustees get involved in other activity at times which fit around their other commitments. The average time commitment is about 8-10 hours a month.|
Where does this role take place?
Maybridge Keystone Centre
Worthing Bn12 6JD
- Black and Minority Ethnic Communities
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- No specific interest
- Young People
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities