The Spire Arts
The Spire Arts is a creative space for theatre, dance, circus and performance makers, located in the beautiful Grade II listed St Mark’s Chapel in Kemp Town, Brighton.
The organisation is managed by two, part-time, Artistic Directors and overseen by a Board of Trustees.
We are looking for a Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees and take the lead on advising the Artistic Directors and Trustees on financial management for the organisation, ensuring its financial viability and seeing that proper financial records and procedures are maintained. The appointment will be for a two year term (which can be renewed).
Your specific responsibilities as Treasurer, in addition to the general role of a trustee, will be to:
- Take the lead in overseeing the financial affairs of Spire Arts at Trustee level.
- Ensure that proper financial records and procedures are maintained.
- Mentor the Artistic Directors in financial matters (they do the day-to-day finance).
- Assist and advise on setting up a trading subsidiary ‘Friends of Spire Arts’.
- Ensure that the Board receives reports containing the information trustees need in an ‘easy to understand’ format.
- Contribute to the effective governance of the organisation.
- Ensure financial stability of and effective financial controls for the organisation.
We are looking for someone who has significant finance experience - ideally a qualified or part-qualified accountant.
You don't need to have been a trustee before.
You should also be able to:
- Think strategically and creatively.
- Exercise good judgement.
- Work as part of a team, while being willing to speak your mind.
And of course, you should have an interest in the arts.
The Spire is based in a very special grade two listed building in Kemp Town, Brighton. We are a friendly team of locally based people helping our two Artistic Directors achieve their vision to have the best community arts venue in East Brighton. It is an opportunity to learn more about the arts world and meet very talented people from a diverse background.
The experience may also help with your personal or career development.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||We ask that you: 1.Attend at least 3 out of 4 trustees’ meetings in a year (apart from in exceptional circumstances); and four finance sub group meetings. 2. Attend performances/events from time to time. 3. Read all Board papers in advance of meetings and come prepared with comments/questions 4. Overall the role is expected to take an average of 8-10 hours a month.|
Where does this role take place?
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities