Trustee - retail experience
Do you have retail management experience? Would you be able to oversee our charity shop in Worthing visiting once or twice a fortnight? Are you willing to share your knowledge and experience with our board of trustees? If so, then this role could be right for you.
Worthing Samaritans is currently marking its 50th year of supporting people experiencing emotional distress and contemplating suicide. We have around 100 people who give their time freely to take calls, emails and texts, based at our Centre in Lennox Road.
Although we work under the umbrella of the national Samaritans charity, we are a separate charitable incorporated organisation and entirely responsible for funding the Worthing branch. Our charity shop in Durrington provides a vital source of income.
Running an effective charity shop is tough at the best of times. With COVID-19, the challenges have increased even further. To ensure we can continue to raise sufficient income from our shop, we are looking for a new trustee to join our board - someone with retail management experience.
Your role will be to:
- Attend the quarterly board meetings and the AGM and participate in making decisions about the general business of the charity.
- Oversee the running of the charity shop - liaising with the staff and volunteers and visiting the shop once or twice a fortnight.
- Advise the Board on the performance of the shop and how to maximise its potential.
This is an opportunity for you to use your experience to help people in need which will be one the the most fulfilling things you will ever do. It will increase your own skills by working with people, some of whom are volunteers and some of whom are paid. It can be a valuable addition to your CV, if that interests you.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||You will need to attend the quarterly board meetings and the annual general meeting. These meetings last about 2 and half hours and there is about 2 hours preparation beforehand. We would also like you to take overall responsibility for our charity shop in Durrington, visit it once or twice a fortnight and liaise with shop staff and volunteers . This might take 8-10 hours a month.|
Where does this role take place?
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities