Trustee with HR experience
Home-Start Arun, Worthing & Adur
We are looking for a new trustee, with experience in Human Resources, to help support our local charity and its employees, so it can help more families in Arun, Worthing & Adur give their children the best start in life.
The five years between birth and school are vital for a child’s development. What goes on inside a family strongly determines the opportunities and life chances children have. Children who are raised in a stable, loving, family environment are more likely to have a positive and healthy future.
Home-Start works because our volunteers are parents. They understand how hard it can be. They work alongside parents, in their own homes, to help them cope with the stresses and strains of life and make sure they have the skills, confidence and strength they need to nurture their children.
We are a small, local charity with a turnover of about £0.25m/year and a fantastic staff team of 11 - mostly part-time. Although we are a small charity, the world we operate in is complex and the issues the board faces are interesting and challenging.
2019/20 was a positive year for us. We supported nearly 150 local families with the help of 50 amazing volunteers, and we had our most successful corporate relationship to date with Rolls-Royce Motors.
We are looking for someone with expertise in Human Resources in a non-profit context.
You don't need to have been a trustee before - we offer training and ongoing development. What matters is your willingness to learn what it means to be a trustee and practice good governance.
You should be able to:
- Think strategically and creatively.
- Exercise good judgement and work as team, while being willing to speak your mind.
- Abide by the Nolan Principles of Public Life - selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
- And of course, you should share our passion for families and helping parents in our communities give their children the best start in life.
- We are a local family support charity with a family feel. Our trustees, staff, volunteers and friends share a passion for families and work together as one team.
- As a trustee, we offer you the chance to make a significant difference to families in your community and feel part of something special.
- We offer tailored induction, training and ongoing development to meet your individual needs. And opportunities to take on responsibilities which could help your CV.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||The board meets every two months - currently on Thursdays from 6pm- 8pm in Arundel (online during Covid-19 restrictions) and trustees can join by Zoom if they are unable to make a meeting in person. We estimate the overall commitment will be about 10 hours a month. Much of this can be flexible to fit around your other responsibilities|
- Trusteeship and Committee Work
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities