Trustees - Muslim, Buddhist and Hindu
Brighton and Hove Faith in Action
We are a multi-faith charity bringing people together from all faith groups to address social justice issues such as racism, prejudice based on people’s faith, mental health and homelessness.
We use the power of our collective beliefs, and knowledge of community needs, to deliver projects that create positive change in Brighton & Hove. Our current activity includes:
- Combating Faith Hate Partnerships - Tours, visits and videos to combat prejudice towards people of faith and educate students about other faiths.
- Homeless Faith Partnership - running Street Support - Brighton & Hove, a website for the city, which coordinates services to homeless people post lockdown and providing volunteers from different faiths (and none) the chance to work across projects.
- Faith Council - bi-weekly online meetings for Faith communities to talk with Statutory Services and other Community and Voluntary Sector partners.
- Standing Together - ministers and representatives from across the faiths spend time together - getting to know each other as people, developing a real understanding of each others’ communities and challenges.
The charity's work is steered by a small Board of Trustees - people of different faiths who are active and well connected in their faith community.
We are looking for more trustees to join the Board and are particularly keen to hear from Muslims, Buddhists and Hindus who are well known in their faith communities and interested in social action.
The role of a trustee for Brighton & Hove Faith in Action is to:
- Attend the board meetings. These are held four times a year and last for a couple of hours.
- Take an interest in one of our projects - contributing your experience and connections to the steering of that project.
This is not a big time commitment. What matters most is that you are able to bring the concerns and interests of your faith community into our discussions.
If you would like to find out more about what's involved, please click the REGISTER YOUR INTEREST button and fill in your details. We will get in touch to arrange an informal chat.
We are looking for people able to help connect their faith community into our work and able to speak on its behalf. So you should be:
- well known in your community.
- have the support of its senior members.
- have an interest in social action.
We are particularly interested to hear from people from the Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu communities; and from women in these communities.
We are also open to hearing from people whose faiths are not currently
represented in our organisations including Bahai, Brahma Kumaris, Pagan and
This is a good opportunity for you to:
- Raise the profile of your faith in Brighton & Hove - with other faiths, with statutory and voluntary services, and with the general public.
- Influence the direction of multi-faith social action in Brighton & Hove.
- Expand your own networks.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||On average this role will take about 4-6 hours a month - including attending a board meeting once every three months. In between board meetings, you are encouraged to help steer one of our projects, supporting our Project Development Worker. We can be flexible about how and when you do this.|
Where does this role take place?
Brighton & Hove
- Trusteeship and Committee Work
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Only for people active in their faith community, with support from senior leaders.
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities