Trustee/Treasurer at The Somerset Centre Brighton
The Somerset Centre, Brighton is a registered charity situated in Kemptown, Brighton. It has six paid staff and has been working since 1980 to support isolated local older people. We need a new treasurer for our charity.
- Weekly: Collect takings and bank; petty cash; pay bills and invoices; update bank accounts; sort out queries.
- Monthly: Advise payroll accountants re salaries and pensions; submit monthly pension details to pension provider; pay HMRC; pay staff salaries and distribute payslips; update donations schedule.
- Two-Monthly: Prepare accounts and Treasurer’s Report for 2-monthly Trustees meeting.
- Annual: Draft annual accounts and Trustees Report (with the Chair); submit to accountant; then present to Trustees at the AGM.
We are looking for someone with a background in bookkeeping and/or accountancy, and with the skills and experience to support the work of this small, independent and lively charity, and who also has an interest in the welfare of older people
We need someone to help the Management Committee to interpret financial information, offer guidance on financial strategy, and ensure that the charity has the right controls and systems in place
You don't need to have been a trustee before - we offer training. What matters is your willingness to understand what it means to be a trustee and to practice good governance. Please note that being a trustee is a voluntary activity, and that the treasurer's post is an honorary one - the person appointed is not paid for this work
- Using your skills and experience to help others.
- Helping to run our charity.
- Enhancing your knowledge of, and involvement with, the local community.
- The Somerset Centre is a single storey building and is easily accessible for people with mobility aids.
- Free parking is available at the Day Centre.
- The following Brighton bus routes pass within a few minutes walk of our building which is situated close to the junction of St James's Street and Upper/Lower Rock Gardens in Kemptown: 1, 1A; 2; and 7
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Trustees attend our Management Committee meetings which are held on Mondays at two-monthly intervals, beginning at 5pm, and usually lasting between 1.5 and 2 hours. The Treasurer will additionally need to attend the Centre regularly (probably weekly) to deal with current financial business, and will also do much of the work on the accounts etc at their home.|
Where does this role take place?
62 St James's Street
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Generally limited to office supplies, postage, etc
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities