Smarter Uniforms - Repairs Assistant
Brighton and Hove Fair Trade Steering Group
Smarter Uniforms is a community led second-hand uniform shop based in Brighton & Hove. We aim to fundraise for schools, save parents money and protect our planet's precious resources for our children's future.
We need volunteers to help us to repair and give love to donated used uniforms.
We are so grateful to receive so many donations from parents and schools. On collection days we receive hundreds of uniform donations that need processing. Part of this process requires quality checks, and many of the uniforms need to be repaired and given a little TLC. This is essential as the uniforms need to be of a high standard in order to be sold on to parents. We sell the uniforms at 1/3 of the price of new uniforms, saving parents money and also preventing perfectly repairable clothes from going to landfill. We donate any profits back to the schools.
Go to bhft.org.uk/smarter-uniforms to find out more about how we fundraise for local schools, protect the planet and why we do what we do.
Sewing, stitching and repairing clothes. Creative solutions to touching up and improving the quality of second hand clothes to prevent them from going to landfill and help them go to a loving family home. An interest in the environment and sustainability is also advantageous.
1. You will help fundraising for schools at a time where government is cutting funding and provide free uniforms to families where needed.
2. The opportunity to work along side a great team, the local council, local schools and businesses. Meet other local creatives and get together to mend and repair the uniforms!
3. The opportunity to engage with an interesting project that has social and environmental benefits to the city of Brighton and Hove and the opportunity to gain a greater understanding of textiles and sustainability through practical experience.
For now we are hoping to have volunteers that are able to repair uniforms in the comfort of their own home and in their own time. We are looking to organise "Repair days/ evenings" where we get local volunteers together in a local cafe/ location to make it a more sociable and enjoyable volunteering opportunity. We are able to drop off and collect the uniform to those willing to help and repair them.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Hours are completely flexible and chosen by yourself to suit when you can repair and mend the uniforms.|
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Families and Parenting
- Young People
- General Helping
- Practical Skills
- Supporting Charities
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Appropriate for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BME, Women only)
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer