Voluntary Art Studio Facilitator Role and Senior Facilitator
Artspace is a small charity providing a community based art studio for people with mental health problems to be creative in a supportive and inclusive environment. We are entirely volunteer led and managed.
We are looking for voluntary facilitators to join us at our community-based art studio. We run a shared space for people with mental health issues who have an interest in exploring their creativity or developing their art practice. We are flexible in what we offer our studio members, as some join in order to access desk space to continue their established art practice, whilst others join in order to learn artistic skills anew. As such, this opportunity would suite someone who would be confident in sharing their creative skills and offering guidance to the people who access the space. Facilitators are also encouraged to be creating their own artwork within the studio, so that we become equal participators alongside our members.
Essential skills / qualities
· Have experience of volunteering or working in a role that required you to support people with respect and patience
· Have the ability to actively listen to people and respond sensitively and appropriately
· Have an awareness of the importance of keeping client confidentiality and appropriate role boundaries
· Have an interest in the arts and / or crafts
· Have experience in offering people some creative guidance and sharing your skills with others.
Desirable skills / qualities
· Have experience of supporting adults with mental health issues
· Have an existing arts practice of your own
· Have experience of facilitating workshops or teaching classes
· Have understanding of the policies and procedures relevant to a mental health project: Safeguarding, Confidentiality, Boundaries, etc.
· Have an understanding of the issues facing people with experience of mental health problems
For the senior role a recognised professional qualification and/or substantial relevant experience in mental health/art therapy/social work/psychology or equivalent and the confidence to lead sessions without the presence of the Lead Facilitator. If you would like to discuss this further please email or phone the studio.
1) Developing knowledge and skills in arts-based work with people with mental health problems
2) Time and space to develop your own creative skills whilst supporting others
3) Learning about how small charities work and keeping this one running for the benefit of our studio members
and meeting/working along side some great people!
The Studio is currently open for 2 days - Tuesday and Thursday. On each day there are 2 sessions running from 10am to 12.30 and then from 2pm to 4.30. The lead facilitator is present for each session and you would not be expected to be supporting the session on your own, unless you had the knowledge and experience to do so including a recognized professional qualification (this is for the senior facilitator role).
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Further studio days may be added in the future.|
Where does this role take place?
61A Bowring Way
Appropriate for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BME, Women only)
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Support on Offer
1:1 meetings, team meetings based on need