Volunteer Accountancy Mentor
The WEA is a charity and the UK's largest voluntary sector provider of adult education, working in partnership to deliver education into the heart of communities.
The WEA together with the Routes Project, offer classes, courses and training focusing on building confidence, getting up to date skills and making real progress towards better work opportunities, combined with employability focused information and advice. We are now looking for volunteer mentors to work with our Educational Co-ordinator to help in progressing a client's understanding of getting into the carpentry business.
As a volunteer mentor you will:
- Understand and support the client's needs within their current journey.
- Support the client in developing the confidence to progress in the next steps of their learning skills and/or self-employment.
The Volunteer's main tasks will include:
- A weekly zoom meeting with the client to look at supporting the development of their learning and employment.
- Feeding into the client's action plans as agreed with the Educational Co-ordinator and the client.
- Recording and sending a written record of what has been discussed and agreed to the Co-ordinator and the client.
- Complying with the WEA Volunteer Code of Conduct.
As a volunteer, you will receive ongoing support from a WEA member of staff, who will help you plan, identify your training needs and support you in resolving any problems.
We are looking for volunteers who are:
- friendly, welcoming and patient;
- reliable and trustworthy;
- enjoy learning and helping others;
- feel confident talking to a range of people;
- enjoy being part of a team;
- enjoy practical hands-on activities;
- are passionate about education and its ability to change lives;
- identify with the WEA's vision, mission and values.
Additionally for this specific role, we are looking for volunteers with the following skills:
- Accounting / Book Keeping skills.
- Experience of accounting/book-keeping.
- Business skills.
- Knowledge of setting up a business / being self-employed would be helpful.
- Good communicators with experience of teaching and / or mentoring.
This is an excellent opportunity to :
- Share your skills and experiences with other people.
- Do something meaningful to support another person's long term well-being.
- Enhance your CV
- This opportunity is currently to be delivered remotely over Zoom.
- Access to computer.
- This role requires a DBS check.
- Time commitment is 1 hour weekly.
- Reasonable out of pocket expenses will be paid subject to the production of receipts.
- Interview possibly by phone.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Time commitment 1 hour weekly.|
- Employment, Education and Training
- Advice and Information
- Business Skills
- Fundraising and Finance
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Teaching and Training
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Reimbursement of expenses as per Volunteers Expenses Policy. Travelling expenses, misc expenses e.g. t/phone calls, (itemised bill to claim) - all expenses need receipts.
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities
Ongoing support from WEA member of staff and WEA Volunteer Team