Volunteer and Engagement Assistant
Highdown Gardens is looking for a Volunteering & Engagement Assistant to help coordinate our volunteers, create engagement materials, and prepare for the gardens reopening in June 2021.
Highdown is a chalk garden famous for its rare exotic plants collected by Plant Hunters in the early 1900’s. Our unique plants have high scientific value due to their success in adapting to Downland chalk soil, and in 1989 were recognised as a National Plant Collection by Plant Heritage.
Highdown recently gained funding from the National Lottery to conserve these unique plants and improve visitor experience. You will contribute to the delivery of this special project so that the garden's rich heritage can be passed on and enjoyed by future generations.
Key responsibilities include:
- Organise and communicating with volunteers
- Help with day to day admin for events
- Produce posters and displays within the visitor center and in the wider garden (chalk boards).
Experience and skills required:
- Excellent communication skills (face-to-face, telephone, written)
- Ability to engage a wide rage of people
- Advanced IT skills including the use of Microsoft Office
- Experience producing a variety of different engagement materials including posters and newsletters
- Flexible and open to a variety of tasks
- Good organisation.
- This is an excellent opportunity for those looking to gain experience in volunteer management and pursue a career in community engagement.
- You will be trained by and get to work closely with Highdowns Engagement and Volunteering Officer
- You will get to contribute to the delivery of a National Lottery Heritage Fund project.
Highdown Gardens is located just off of the A259 (Littlehampton Road), which is a dual carriageway. There is a car park on site, bus stops approximately a 15 minute walk away, and Goring-by-sea train station an 18 minute walk away.
Please go to the Highdown Garden 'How to Find Us' web page for further travel details. https://www.highdowngardens.co.uk/contact/how-to-find-us/
When do I need to be available?
|Details||We will require you to volunteer a minimum of 7 hours every fortnight, on either a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. This role will start in May 2021.|
Where does this role take place?
- Employment, Education and Training
- No specific interest
- Parks and Open Spaces
- Wildlife and Animals
- Administration and Office
- General Helping
- Local Events
- Practical Skills
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities