Volunteer Befriender (Get Involved Group)
We are looking for volunteers to join our team as befrienders. The Get Involved Group (GIG) works towards equality by inspiring disabled people to identify barriers and define solutions. We engage our members through meetings every 6 weeks (currently online), as well as consultations, mail-outs and a monthly round-up. GIG members include disabled people, their friends and carers in Brighton and Hove. We have also recently received funding to provide similar support to disabled people in Crawley & Horsham.
During the Covid-19 Pandemic, we have been unable to carry out many of our usual functions, and in response to the needs of our members, we have provided support and guidance via telephone, video-calling and social media.
The Get Involved Group is looking for new volunteers to help us to stay in contact some of our more vulnerable members, who are at increased risk of isolation whilst the services, networks and communities they would usually access are unavailable.
Maybe you have done or have some of these?
These are some skills, knowledge and experience we are looking for. However, if you don’t have these don’t worry as we can offer training and development within these areas.
- Experience of offering befriending or telephone support
- Experience of working with groups and one-to-one
- Experience of working remotely.
- An opportunity to offer your skills and experience.
- The chance to build confidence, self-esteem and make a difference.
- Access a range of free courses, including confidence building, computer courses, disability confidence, customer services and more.
We are able to provide a phone if necessary, but can also provide training on how to shield your number if you are able to use your own phone.
This role will be done entirely from home.
Full training and induction will be given as well as ongoing support.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||The expected commitment is 2-4 hours a week, although we would welcome volunteers who could offer beyond this. The volunteering can be done flexibly and can be outside of office hours|
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Health and Social Care
- Mental Health
- Older People
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities