Volunteer Female Mentor
The Girls' Network (Brighton and Hove)
Inspire a young girl to achieve her potential by becoming a mentor in Brighton and Hove.
Mentoring is an amazing way to share your experience and skills with a girl who may not otherwise benefit from this support.
The Girls' Network is an award-winning charity which aims to inspire and empower girls from the least advantaged communities by connecting them to a mentor and a network of professional role models who are women.
(This opportunity is also available in Eastbourne).
We are looking for women who:
- are professionals with at least 3 years experience working in an industry;
- have the passion to make a difference to a younger girl's life, supporting her to overcome obstacles and seize opportunities;
- have the time and willingness to support a girl from the least advantaged communities;
- able to relate well to others;
- good at working through problems;
- able to provide insight from your personal experiences.
- Intensive training session to prepare you to be the best possible mentor.
- Skills for career development.
- Access to online support and resources.
- The opportunity to be part of a growing network of women across the UK.
- Able to commit to one hour per month to mentoring sessions for 10 sessions over one year, with time for preparation in between
- Sessions will take place virtually or in-person according to government Covid-19 restrictions
- Training sessions are currently delivered remotely via Zoom on a weekday evening
When do I need to be available?
|Details||You will need to commit one hour per month to mentoring sessions, (not including travelling time). Sessions take place outside of school hours so that girls can attend. Either afternoons from 3.30/4pm onwards, or weekends.|
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
Once we have received an expression of interest, there is then an application form to be filled out which asks questions such as "what are your hobbies and interests?" Following the application, we will invite you to a local training event.
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Yes, our insurance is extensive and covers the mentoring role entirely.
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Women only. You must have experienced 3 years in the workplace. You must be supportive of our mission and ethos to empower and inspire young girls from the least advantaged communities.
Support on Offer
The support within our organisation is ongoing and from various angles. Primarily, there is support from your Network Manager - who is available on the phone and on email to discuss any concerns or queries you may have.
- This role is adaptable for different abilities
You will receive full training including child protection as part of your induction. This training runs for 3 hours. Training dates are fairly frequent and usually take place in August through to March. The training will always be held in central location.