Volunteer First Point of Contact
Age UK West Sussex and Brighton & Hove
Age UK West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, enables older people to Love Later Life. Our aims are to promote the well-being of all older people; to make later life a fulfilling and enjoyable experience and to enable people to flourish. We deliver a range of services and activities to meet older people’s needs.
The service covers the whole of West Sussex, Brighton and Hove and is delivered by a team of volunteers.
As Volunteer First Point of Contact your role will be to contribute towards the provision of the information & advice service across both counties supporting people 50 and above, their families, carers and friends, over the telephone.
- To provide a wide range of information to older people, their families and carers, meeting the AQM ‘Quality’ standard and Age UK IAQP in accordance with Age UK West Sussex, Brighton and Hove policies and procedures.
- To provide clients with information in relation to their issues to enable them to make informed choices. Offering our information guides and fact-sheets where applicable.
- To identify the key issues and signpost to the most relevant service or adviser.
- To ensure clients are either provided with or can access the support they need to achieve their desired outcomes.
- To support the most vulnerable with the next steps by navigating them to the most appropriate service or organisation making direct referrals both internally or externally.
- To ensure that clear and comprehensive records of all enquiries are received and noted how they were resolved, enter them on our bespoke database, with all relevant documentation attached to the client record. Follow the bench marks for the service.
- To attend and contribute to team meetings either remotely through Microsoft teams or face to face.
- To attend relevant training applicable to your role ensuring you have the most up to date information required for the role..To liaise with the FPOC coordinator to ensure correct information is given and check that there are no missed issues.
- To support the FPOC with training and support of other volunteers.
- To contribute to our information database by researching services and organisations.
- To understand when to refer onto then advisers for further support.
- To carry out tasks according to Age UK WS policies and standards, in particular on safeguarding, confidentiality, anti-discriminatory policies and health and safety.
- To report any concerns or safeguardings to the Brighton & Hove Development Manager and liaise appropriately.
You will be supported by the First Point of Contact (FPOC) coordinator.
You don't need to have done this kind of role before and you don't need any special qualifications. We provide all the training and on-going support you need.
We are looking for people who have:
- Good Computer skills including MS packages, MS teams and ability to use our bespoke database.
- Good communication.
- Good listening skills.
- A professional manner.
- Able to think outside the box.
- Respect for difference.
- This is a lovely opportunity to support isolated older people in your community.
- You will also get the chance to meet new people and make new friends.
- And you will gain experience of supporting older people which may help you find a job in this field if that's important to you.
Minimum three hour commitment a week.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||This role involves taking part in training provided by Age UK West Sussex, Brighton & Hove as well as committing to supporting an older person over a number of weeks. Ideally the volunteer would be able to commit at least 3 hours a week for 6 months.|
Where does this role take place?
29-31 Prestonville Road
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Health and Social Care
- No specific interest
- Older People
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities