Volunteer Food Bank Driver
Brighton and Hove City Council
Do you have some free time either Wednesday or Thursday morning to help us deliver food parcels to families living in Brighton and Hove?
Food Delivery Drivers with their own car needed.
Hollingdean Children’s Centre need regular volunteer drivers to deliver food parcels to families in Brighton and Hove.
Volunteer Drivers need to be available for a Wednesday or Thursday from 9.30am until 1pm, this does depend on the number of deliveries.
• Pick up bagged food from the collection point at Hollingdean Children’s Centre
• Deliver parcels directly to recipient's door
• Follow a contactless delivery process for safety - drivers will need to ring the doorbell/knock, step back ensuring a social distance, wait for the recipient to collect parcel
• Contact Hollingdean Children’s Centre during the delivery with any problems
About Hollingdean Children’s Centre
Hollingdean Children’s Centre is located on Brentwood Road (next to Hollingdean Park). The Centre is made up of Health Visitors, Early Years Educators, Midwives, Volunteer Skills Development Coordinators, Group Support Workers and Administrators. The team works and support families, individual and groups, in the home or at the Centre.
However due to Covid - 19 our service changed because we were unable to welcome families to the Centre and the team have been unable to visit families in their home.
At the beginning of the lockdown in March we started to deliver food parcels to families with children under five across Brighton and Hove. All the families are referred for this service from health professionals and Brighton and Hove Hub. This service has grown, and we regularly provide food parcels to over 60 families weekly.
Food is delivered to the Centre every Wednesday by Fareshare and an additional delivery is arranged from a supermarket. The food is then unpacked and sorted into various groups. Once sorted the food is then packed into individual shopping bags ready for delivery the following day.
Food is delivered by the Children Centre teams across the city on Wednesday or Thursday. This is an important part of our role because this is the only time, we have face to face contact with families at a safe social distance.
Staff at Hollingdean Children’s Centre will give you a full induction before you begin any deliveries including a full tour of the Centre and introduction to the Children’s Centre team and fellow volunteers. You’ll need a current, full driving licence and must have business insurance which covers delivering foodbank parcels.
You will be provided with PPE including hand sanitiser, disposable gloves and masks.
You must, give Hollingdean Children’s Centre 48 hours’ notice if you are unable to volunteer that week.
No experience is required. We are looking for people who are:
• Reliable and trustworthy
• Have a full and valid UK Driving Licence
• Have car insurance with business insurance, valid road tax and M.O.T. certificate
This opportunity is available to people who are:
• Physically fit and have no symptoms of Covid-19
• No-one in your household has coronavirus symptoms
• You have not been asked to self-isolate or are required to shield
• Opportunity to make a difference during a challenging time
• Support your community
• Personal well-being
• Volunteers will need to have car, valid MOT and business insurance which covers food bank deliveries. Petrol costs will be covered
• Car needs to have space for several food parcels
• Physically fit as the volunteer will be expected to lift some quite heavy parcels
• Available on a Wednesday or/and Thursday at a regular allocated morning time slot
• Able to drive around Brighton – knowledge of roads is desirable but not essential
When do I need to be available?