Volunteer Gardener - Royal Pavilion
BHCC - Royal Pavilion, Museums and Libraries
To support the work of the Head Gardener in the care and maintenance of the regency style Pavilion Gardens and to work according to his directions. Tasks include: pruning, weeding, tidying growth and undergrowth, picking up litter, planting out, informal engagement with visitors to the Gardens and seed collecting and preparation for offers to the public.
You will be fully inducted and trained in all aspects of Garden security.
Friday Volunteer Gardener hours are 10.00am – 12.00pm. There is ongoing support from the Head Gardener. Each Friday there is an ‘ID’ (Identification) Meeting where several plants from the Gardens are identified, explained and discussed, led by the Head Gardener. All tasks are explained by the Head Gardener as in the use of any hand tools which are made available. Steel toe capped boots are essential and a contribution of up to £30 will be made by RPM towards the cost of boots. Gardening gloves will be provided as will a fleece jacket for colder weather.
You will learn about the history of the Estate and the Gardens, imparting knowledge to visitors.
- have a basic familiarity with and interest in gardening
- be confident in talking to the public
- be relatively fit, consistent with requirements of bending/stretching and working on the ground (no heavy work will be given)
- be reliable, on time, and flexible
- enjoy communicating with different people
- You will learn about the history of the Estate and the Gardens, imparting knowledge to visitors.
- As a volunteer at the Royal Pavilion & Museums you will be entitled to the same benefits as staff, including discounts in the shops/cafes. Travel expenses as a volunteer can be claimed back as part of our Volunteer Policy, up to £5 per day.
- Volunteer Gardeners are offered two trips per year to visit other gardens across the South East region.
The place of work will be the Royal Pavilion Gardens in the city centre every Friday between 10:00am-12:00pm. This is accessible easily via bus routes into the city.
As this is a physical role, you would need to have a level of fitness, and be able to be active for the 2 hour shift.
All equipment is provided, including £30 towards boots, a fleece for cold weather and gardening gloves.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Friday morning 10:00am-12:00pm|
Where does this role take place?
4-5 Pavillion Buildings
- Parks and Open Spaces
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Appropriate for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BME, Women only)
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer