Volunteer Gateway and Telephone Assessor
Citizens Advice Brighton and Hove
Purpose of Role :
- Be the first point of contact for Citizens Advice clients (via telephone, face to face, webchat or email)
- Help with a wide range of issues our clients face
- Support the general public across all ages and backgrounds.
Main Duties and Responsibilities include :
- Identify and summarise the essence of the problem, using listening and questioning skills sensitively and quickly to identify and assess each client’s situation
- Establish what the client wants
- Assess and agree the appropriate level of service, taking into consideration the client's ability to take the next step themselves, the complexity of the problem and resources
- Give information from our online Citizens Advice database and other sources to our clients
- Identify and assess key information about the problem including time limits, key dates and any requirement for urgent advice or action (using the Citizens Advice website, scripts and any other diagnostic tools, as necessary) and more.
- To be able to use listening and questioning skills sensitively and quickly to identify and assess each client’s situation
- To be able to quickly sift through information and extract what is relevant
- To have good keyboard and IT skills and be able to effectively search for information on the internet
- To be able to input data accurately
- To have a good level of literacy and numeracy
- To be open minded, enjoy helping people and show respect for views, values and cultures that are different to our own
- To have an understanding of why confidentiality is important
- To demonstrate a positive attitude to self development and assessment
- To be able to work as part of a team and be flexible and adaptable
- To be able to recognise their own limits and boundaries in the role
- To support the principles and values of Citizens Advice
- To be able to communicate clearly both orally and in writing
- Willingness to attend training and other meetings.
- Make a real difference to people’s lives by making sure that clients receive the right support for them
- learn about a range of issues such as benefits, debt, employment and housing.
- build on valuable skills such as communication, listening and questioning
- increase your employability
- work with a range of different people, independently and in a team.
- have a positive impact in your community.
- And we’ll reimburse expenses too.
Our offices are accessible and in a central Hove location on bus routes. If you are interested in becoming a research and campaigns volunteer and would like to discuss flexibility around location, time, ‘what you will do’ and how we can support you please contact us.
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
Tisbury Road offices, Hove Town Hall
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Employment, Education and Training
- Families and Parenting
- Health and Social Care
- Homeless and Housing
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender
- Mental Health
- Older People
- Womens Issues
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities