Volunteer Independent Visitor (Hove)
Do you have some time every month to make a positive difference to the life of a vulnerable young person?
NYAS Southhampton is looking to recruit a Volunteer Independent Visitor to support and befriend a young person in Hove.
An Independent Visitor (IV) is an adult volunteer who befriends and develops a long-term friendship with a young person in care.
This can involve helping young people develop new interests, skills and hobbies or going on outings such as to the cinema, bowling or just a walk in the park.
The volunteers are called ‘Independent Visitors’ because they are a truly ‘independent’ person outside the care system giving the young person continuity, which is something not always possible with changing carers and social workers.
Each volunteer is carefully matched with a child or young person in care in their local area who shares similar interests. We currently have a young person living in Hove and would like to find a volunteer who will be able to support this young person as an Independent Visitor.
Visits are monthly and flexible - arranged by the volunteer to suit their schedule and that of the young person.
No specific formal qualifications are required. All we ask is that you are open minded, patient, responsible and have a good sense of humour with the ability to relate well to young people and have a genuine interest in their well-being.
- Rewarding opportunity where you can make a real difference in the life of a vulnerable young person.
- Become part of a leading national children's charity - get to take part in activities with young people.
- Gain valuable experience and develop skills.
- Able to commit to a period of 2 years.
- Meetings are monthly.
- Enhanced DBS check will be required.
- Volunteers schedule their own monthly visits.
- Some travel may be required to meet the young person, and it helps if the volunteer has their own transport.
- All training and recruitment currently done online.
- Expenses will be paid.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||We ask volunteers to commit for a period of 2 years but the timings of monthly visits are flexible.Visits are arranged by the volunteer to suit their schedule and that of the young person.|
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities