Sussex Interpreting Services
SIS (Sussex Interpreting Services) Health Promotion Project is recruiting and training volunteer linguists to use their experience, understanding and influence to help people with language needs to be able to navigate the health and social care system and lead healthier lives. Volunteer Linguists will….
• link people to specialist health and social support services
• help with making appointments, reading letters, filling in forms
• represent communities by offering feedback about services
• accompany people to a new social group/activity
• help to moderate our language specific Facebook and website pages
• able to work independently and use initiative
• friendly, diplomatic and courteous
• flexible and resourceful
• good communication skills particularly verbally
• appropriate assertiveness skills
• accurate record keeping
• research skills
• organisational skills
Volunteers will receive:
Free training in Social Prescribing.
Additional skills development opportunities
The opportunity to hone skills and gain experience working in a bilingual capacity
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Most of the Volunteer Linguist role will take place during daytime hours Monday - Friday although we do occasionally attend events at weekends and in the evenings.|
Where does this role take place?
113 Queen's Rd
There is disabled access to Community Base where our offices are but as there is outreach work involved in the role we cannot vouch for there being disabled access all across the city
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
We adhere to the SIS Equal Opportunities Policy
Out of pocket expenses such as bus fare, refreshments, phone costs are reimbursed
Health and Safety
Yes, again we strictly adhere to our H&S policy
Yes, a full induction will be provided
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Support on Offer
Yes, Volunteer Coordinator and Project Manager as well as peer to peer support.
Social prescribing training to start and then further training opportunities