Volunteer Press Officer
The Communications Officer is looking for support to raise the media profile of this a dynamic organisation. In particular, to raise our profile with local & regional media, and if appropriate, consumer and trade press.
- Draft and issue news releases and statements together with the Communications Officer.
- Develop and maintain a network of media contacts - locally, and if and when appropriate, regionally and nationally.
- Work with teams across the organisation to identify possible stories and case studies.
- Monitor news for relevant stories and work with our Social Media volunteer to share them.
- Support the Communications Officer in dealing with incoming media enquiries.
- To assist in the production of promotional and publicity material as appropriate and keep publicised material and contact details up to date.
- To ensure the Possability People's policies and procedures are followed and at all times to recognise our Equal Opportunities policies.
- Maintain confidentiality on all enquiries received and all information regarding any clients.
- Attend internal and external training identified in conjunction with role and aspirations.
We require support for at least one, three hour slot, preferably on Thursdays, from 10am to 4pm. We can be flexible with days and times but a commitment to at least one regular slot each week is essential. These slots can be from 10:00am - 1:00pm or 1:00pm - 4:00pm.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Excellent writing skills for a varied audience
- An eye for a good news hook or story
- Previous press office experience
- An understanding of how the media works
- The ability to develop relationships with a variety of people
- Where appropriate, liaise with the Social Media volunteer.
- To be efficient, organised and empathetic to the needs of the service user without prejudice.
- Discretion and confidentiality are of paramount importance with all enquiries.
- Excellent writing skills for a variety of audiences
- Some previous media or PR experience (this could be through study eg media courses)
- A knowledge of the media and how it works.
- Confident telephone manner
- A positive and enthusiastic demeanour
- Competent computer skills
- Good organisational skills
- Calm and supportive temperament
- Ability to listen and relay information with precision
- A preparedness to make a regular time commitment.
- A commitment to the provision of quality services and support for disabled people.
- A commitment to the principles of equal opportunities for all service users.
- PR and media planning.
- Research skills.
- Experience of PR work
- Ongoing support
We are based at Montague House (Somerset Street entrance), Brighton.
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
- Marketing and Media
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer