Volunteer together at the Travel Buddy Project
Are you motivated and enthusiastic about helping individuals to learn new skills and make links within their community?
Can you spare a few hours a week to support an individual with a learning disability to volunteer in their community?
How you can help us:
As a volunteer with the Travel Buddy Project, you will support a Grace Eyre individual in a placement or training opportunity. This includes helping to develop their travelling skills to get to their placement.
Individuals with learning disabilities are often dependent upon expensive methods of transport, such as taxis and minibuses. Many individuals lack the skills to travel by public transport. This can lead to social isolation which often impacts on employment or training opportunities. The Travel Buddy Project has successfully helped individuals to take their first steps towards independent travel. This has increased employment/training/volunteering opportunities for those who have used our service.
- Previous experience working alongside people with learning disabilities is desirable but not necessary.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, friendliness and a good communicator.
- A good team player open to learning and developing themselves and others.
What we offer you:
- In return for a regular commitment, we offer you an opportunity to make a positive difference in your community.
- A rewarding and beneficial experience which can help enhance your future job prospects.
- Travel expenses and the cost of the DBS check will be covered.
- You will be given support and training on all aspects of this role.
Applicants will need to have flexibility with their time throughout the week.
Applicants will be required to use public transport.
When do I need to be available?
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities