Volunteering Together - Tidy up Team
Grace Eyre Foundation
Grace Eyre is seeking motivated and enthusiastic ‘Volunteering Together’ Travel Buddies to join our "Tidy Up team".
Working alongside the councils Tidy Up Team, we will be taking groups out to the local parks and green spaces to litter-pick for the community's benefit.
This will be done along with another volunteer, making it a group activity of 2 volunteers and 2 service users.
People with a learning disability can find it difficult to travel around their communities and are often reliant on using minibuses or getting lifts. This can significantly restrict their life choices.
The Travel Buddy Scheme aims to break down these barriers, thereby increasing opportunities and independence. The scheme runs travel training courses and provides volunteer travel buddies to support people to learn new journeys.
Some examples of what you will be expected to do:
- Helping trainees with reading and writing
- Supporting and encouraging people to engage in activities
- Supporting people to focus their attention
- Encouraging service users to take part in group discussions.
- Keeping group together on journeys
Some basic principles:
- Promote the independence of service users while protecting them as far as possible from danger or harm.
- Enable people to maintain the maximum possible level of independence, choice and control.
- Support people with the same level of respect you would want for yourself or a member of your family.
Skills and experience needed:
- Previous experience working with people with learning disabilities is not necessary but very welcome
- Lots of patience and an interest in the session subject matter.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, friendliness and a willingness to get involved
- Being a good team player
- Front line social care delivery experience
- Empowering vulnerable people
- Meeting new people
- Supporting people with Learning Disabilities
- Experience of working with a large organisation
Ideally, to enable stability and consistency, a 10 week minimum commitment is recommended due to the nature of the project.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Dates and time negotiated with the project to suit all participants.|
Where does this role take place?
36 Montefiore Rd
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Advice and Information
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Support on Offer
yes, regular supervision, development plans.
E-learning, group training, induction training.