Ward Befriender Volunteer (Mill View Hospital, Hove)
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
We are looking for volunteers to provide companionship to patients on the ward and help them to take part in appropriate social and/or recreational activities. The involvement aims to help people to feel less isolated and feel part of an enjoyable social relationship.
- To check with your supervisor about priorities and any issues the volunteer should be briefed about.
- To be able to encourage participation
- To have good communicate skills and be able to encourage residents
- To inform staff about activities undertaken with patients and any significant changes in mood or behaviour.
- To report and share any concerns/feedback from patients about risks to themselves or others.
- To undergo training and supervision as required.
- Asking patients to give feedback on their experience of the ward by completing a hand-held survey device.
- Aged 18 or over
- Able to commit reliably to at least 1 hour a week for a minimum of six months
- A commitment to improve the patient’s experience of their time in hospital
- Well presented, with a friendly and approachable manner and good verbal communication skills
- An ability to relate well to people on a one-to-one basis and be sympathetic to others’ situations
- An ability to be patient and calm even in the face of difficult situations
- An ability to act on own initiative within the role description
- An ability to start conversations/activities without prompting
- A willingness to be flexible and to follow the guidance of a placement supervisor
- A commitment to the trust’s equal opportunities and diversity policies
- A willingness to abide by the Sussex Partnership volunteer guidelines, including rules on confidentiality, health and safety, safeguarding adults and children and manual handling
- To be willing to receive training in any areas as appropriate to the volunteer role.
- Use and improve your existing people skills
- Gain valuable experience to strengthen future applications
- Meet new people from different backgrounds
When do I need to be available?
|Details||commit reliably to at least 1 hour a week for a minimum of six months|
Where does this role take place?
Mill View Hospital
- Mental Health
- Supporting People and Befriending
Appropriate for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BME, Women only)
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Support on Offer