Ward Befriender Volunteer (Coral Ward)
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
We are looking for Ward Befrienders to provide companionship to patients on Coral Ward at Langley Green Hospital; to help patients to take part in appropriate social and/or recreational activities. The involvement aims to help our service users to feel less isolated and feel part of an enjoyable social relationship.
Langley Green is a state-of-the-art hospital for people with acute mental health problems. The hospital has two acute care working age wards, one integrated working age/older adults ward, and one psychiatric intensive care unit (PICU).
Coral ward is an acute ward for adults. Every room is single and en-suite. The ward has access to a garden, includes a lounge, a dedicated quiet room, as well as a women’s lounge. These are also quieter areas for sitting and relaxing.
We are looking for volunteers that can commit to one of the following shifts for a minimum of 6 months:
- Wednesday - 5.30/6pm-8.30pm
- Thursday - 5.30/6pm-8.30pm
- Friday - 5.30/6pm-8.30pm.
- Well presented, with a friendly and approachable manner and good verbal communication skills
- An ability to relate well to people on a one to one basis and be sympathetic to others’ situations
- An ability to be patient and calm even in the face of difficult situations
- An ability to act on own initiative within the role description
- An ability to start conversations/activities without prompting
- A willingness to be flexible and to follow the guidance of a placement supervisor
- A commitment to the trust’s equal opportunities and diversity policies
- A willingness to abide by the Sussex Partnership volunteer guidelines,
- including rules on confidentiality, health and safety, safeguarding adults and children and manual handling
- To be willing to receive training any areas as appropriate to the volunteer role.
- Increase your social and relationship skills
- Gain career experience
- Increases self-confidence.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||We are looking for volunteers that can commit to one of the following shifts for a minimum of 6 months: Wednesday - 5.30/6pm-8.30pm Thursday - 5.30/6pm-8.30pm Friday - 5.30/6pm-8.30pm|
Where does this role take place?
Langley Green Hospital
- Mental Health
- Supporting People and Befriending
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities