Ward Befriender Volunteer - Shepherd House
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Main Purpose: To provide companionship to patients on the ward and to help them to take part in appropriate social and/or recreational activities. The involvement aims to help people to feel less isolated and to feel part of an enjoyable social relationship.
Background: Shepherd House is a 15 bedded inpatient rehabilitation unit looking after individuals whom experience psychosis. We offer a range of interventions and practical support to enable people to return to return to live in the community.
We are looking for two volunteers to help offer social contact to individuals at Shepherd House, under supervision of their supervisor.
- Aged 18 or over
- Able to commit reliably to at least 2 hours a week for a minimum of six months
- A commitment to improve the patient’s experience of their time in hospital
- Well presented, with a friendly and approachable manner and good verbal communication skills
- An ability to relate well to people on a one to one basis and be sympathetic to others’ situations
- An ability to be patient and calm even in the face of difficult situations
- An ability to act on own initiative within the role description
- A willingness to be flexible and to follow the guidance of a placement supervisor
- A commitment to the trust’s equal opportunities and diversity policies
- A willingness to abide by the Sussex Partnership volunteer guidelines, including rules on confidentiality, health and safety, safeguarding adults and children and manual handling
- To be willing to receive training any areas as appropriate to the volunteer role
- Increases self-confidence
- Make a difference
- Meet people
Travel expenses will be paid.
When do I need to be available?
Where does this role take place?
- Mental Health
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
18 years +
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities