Ward Helper and Visitor Escort
Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust
We are looking for volunteers to support staff at the Brighton & Hove ICU with the arrival of patient's visitors. Volunteers will support all visitors in accessing the unit easily and safely, and help patients to have a positive experience whilst on the unit by being able to receive visitors, and also by being offered companionship.
Key Tasks (what you will be doing):
- Providing companionship to patients on the unit by speaking to them and also reading newspaper and magazine articles (provided by service).
- Helping patients complete 'Menu Choices' cards.
- When a pre-arranged visitor arrives at the unit at the front entrance, the volunteer will leave the building via the rear entrance, and meet the visitor at the front entrance and walk them around the building to enter the unit at the rear entrance.
- Complete 'Family and Friends' Test with visitor whilst on unit.
- To maintain boundaries at all times.
- To maintain confidentiality at all times.
- To comply with Trust policies.
- To keep good time-keeping and show regular commitment.
Boundaries (what you will not be doing):
- No clinical advice or medical advice.
- No home visiting.
- No lifting of heavy equipment.
- No tasks outside of this role description.
- Age: You must be 18yrs or older to volunteer in this role.
- Self-motivated; with an ability to think on your feet and work independently.
- Punctual and dependable.
- Professional and friendly demeanour.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrates empathy and compassion
- Socially rewarding.
- Opportunity to gain experience and develop skills in an NHS environment.
- Playing a part in supporting staff and patients on the Brighton and Hove Intermediate Care Unit, (ICU).
- Age: You must be 18 years or older to volunteer in this role.
- Location of this opportunity is Brighton & Hove Intermediate Care Unit, Laburnham Avenue, Hove.
- Accessibility: No lift onsite.
Pre-placement checks, training and support:
- You must have a standard DBS check for this role. If you do not have one already, then we can organise and pay for one for you.
- You will need to complete an Occupation Health declaration form and self-declaration, along with a health checklist and disclaimer form. We will discuss these with you when you apply.
- You will receive Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust's Voluntary Statutory Training.
- You will also receive a local induction and orientation. This will include any training that is relevant to perform your tasks.
- You will receive a volunteer handbook.
- You will receive support and direction from Samantha Smith: Matron and Livia Pop: Acting Ward Manager.
How will we keep you safe:
- All roles have been risk assessed and we continue to review these risk assessments. Any changes will be communicated to you.
- All services and locations have been risk assessed against Covid-19.
- Fluid resistant masks and other PPE will be provided where necessary, as well as hand washing facilities and hand sanitiser.
- Social distancing wherever possible will be adhered to.
- You will be given Lateral Flow Tests and will need to provide regular results 2 times per week.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Volunteers are required for the following shifts: 1pm - 3pm or 3pm-5pm - 7 days a week.|
Where does this role take place?
Brighton and Hove Intermediate Care Unit
- Health and Social Care
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer