Witness Service Volunteer - Hove Crown Court
Witness Service (Citizens Advice Sussex)
Giving evidence as a witness can be daunting and the court process can be complicated and difficult to understand. The Citizens Advice Witness Service provides free and independent support for both prosecution and defence witnesses in Brighton and Hove, Worthing, Chichester and Horsham Magistrates Courts.
Our trained volunteers provide practical information about the court process as well as emotional support to help witnesses feel more confident when giving evidence.
If you are interested in supporting witnesses at Hove Crown Court for a day or meeting them prior to the trial to prepare them, then we would like to hear from you. We expect 1 day per week or 2 x half days commitment, (subject to DBS check and references).
- provide information about the court process
- show witnesses the courtroom ahead of the trial
- be there to talk to in confidence
- accompany witnesses when they give their evidence
- be there to give support on the day of the trial; at verdict and sentencing
- help prepare witnesses who need extra support.
- We’re looking for volunteers (over 18 years old) who have a friendly, mature and empathetic manner towards others.
- You need to have good listening and verbal communication skills.
- We are also looking for people who are non-judgemental and impartial in supporting all people, and who have the confidence to support vulnerable people and people with specific needs.
“Bringing out the best in yourself by helping someone through what may be the most difficult day in their life: the reward is greater than any payment.”
Peter - Volunteer at Caernarfon
We provide online training, regular supervision and team meetings, great team support.
- Location of this opportunity is Hove Crown Court.
- Parking is not provided. Parking expenses will be paid. The Court is near to bus routes.
- We need volunteers who can commit to at least 1 day or 2 x half days per week.
- This is a long term commitment due to the training involved and we ask volunteers to be able to commit to at least 18 months.
- We provide expenses including lunch.
- This is not a suitable opportunity for somebody seeking full time employment.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||We need volunteers who can commit to at least 1 day or 2 x half days per week. Full-day session 9am - 5pm. Half-day session 9am - 1pm or 1pm - 5pm.|
Where does this role take place?
Hove Crown Court
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Must be 18yrs+
- Support on Offer