Young Carers Transport Volunteer
WSCC Young Carers Service
Some young carers in West Sussex need the support of volunteer drivers to take them to and from their weekly Young Carers Group one evening a week during school term time as their families may be unable to take them due to illness, disability, other dependants, etc. There are 5 groups across the county and volunteers will be matched to their closest group. Volunteers drop young people to the group and then leave and collect them again 2 hours later to take them home.
- To be a positive, non-judgemental role model
- To be empathetic, and committed to supporting young carers to access peer support and have a break from their caring role.
- Able to be non-judgemental, accept people as individuals and respect their differences
- The ability to empathise with the young carer and their family whilst maintaining boundaries
- Demonstrate well developed relationship building skills
- Be able to work on your own and as part of a team
- A safe, competent driver with a full clean driving licence and access to your own appropriately insured vehicle.
Ongoing training and support in the role, agreed mileage and expenses reimbursed, opportunity to be part of a fantastic volunteer team and award winning service.
Volunteer drivers are matched with one of 5 groups, whichever is most local to them. Young Carers Groups are currently based in Crawley, Burgess Hill, Worthing, Bognor and Chichester. Drivers will be supported on the night by a Young Carers Family Support Worker who will be co-facilitating the group and available for advice and support as necessary.
When do I need to be available?
|Details||Depending on where the volunteer lives will depend on which group they will be matched with and which night they will be required to volunteer. Most groups run from 6-8pm so volunteers may collect young carers from home and take them to group between 5-6pm and then leave and return to collect them at 8pm and take them home. groups only run during school term time|
Where does this role take place?
- Young People
Yes to council buildings for interviews, induction, training and support
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Yes - agreed out of pocket expenses and mileage
Health and Safety
Yes - risk assessments for roles, for volunteers and young carers
Yes and volunteer ID cards
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Yes - Employers and Public Liability
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Over 17 with full clean driving licence and satisfactory DBS check and references
Support on Offer
Yes - regular volunteer group meetings and learning events, daily access to staff for support and guidance
- This role is adaptable for different abilities
Yes - training to do the role, and ongoing training relevant to the role